Write up your response to #2 on the board (Example: Drew Reeves Dead of Summer)
- The authors of "Beyond the Two-Gender System: Queer Theory"
discussed Glee: "Glee is remarkable for its sensitive and nuanced
investigation of this character [Coach Beiste]." Which best describes your
- I'm not familiar with Glee/Coach Beiste.
- I agree with the authors.
- I somewhat agree with the authors.
- I disagree with the authors.
- Where is Unique?
- Should cisgender actors be cast in gqnb roles such as transgender,
genderfluid or androgynous roles? Which best describes your
- Choose the best actor for the job, regardless of their gender
- It is ok if a ciswoman or a transwoman or ...woman plays a
gqnb woman--what is important is that women are playing women. More
generally, hire only an actor whose gender identity matches in this sense.
- Only a gqnb actor should play a gqnb role.
- Make a good faith effort to hire marginalized or underrepresented
populations into the role, favoring them when possible.
- Have you watched any of Amazon's Transparent, Freeform's Dead of Summer
or Netflix's Orange Is the New Black?
- yes, all three
- yes, two of the three
- yes, one of the three
- What do you think about using Auteurs, Forms, and Reception (as
described in "Queer Representation in Film and Television") as a critical
approach to gqnb in popular culture?
- I like them
- These are good perspectives, but I can think of others too
- I'd prefer others
The Vito Russo Test
Role models and gender schema during the gender and professions in popular culture.